SmartCatalog has worked with colleges around the country and has learned the best practices from the best of them. Our unique production services feature:
1. Primary Draft Documents make changes easier to read and incorporate.
Send us last year's electronic file, in any layout or word processing format, and we will prepare the files for campus distribution. A wide margin, extra-large type and plenty of room between the lines makes it easier for departments to prepare revisions. We'll include instructions on how revisions are to be made. You'll know you've covered the bases and made life a little easier for your colleagues.
2. Highlighted Revisions save time in proofing.
Checking revisions can be very time-consuming. Typically the editor or project manager must compare old and new drafts to see if all changes have been made. SmartCatalog saves you time by highlighting the revised text on new page proofs. Your staff will thank you for saving them time and ensuring accuracy.
3. Preparing for web and data from day one creates a smoother, faster conversion.
On many campuses, the layout artist who prepares the publication for print is in a separate office from the manager who prepares the document for multichannel publishing. At SmartCatalog, the associate who prepares your book also prepares your files for the website or a database. By thinking about the final destination of your files from the start, we can produce documents that transfer smoothly across platforms.
4. Working with specialists means creating a lasting product.
The SmartCatalog team has been producing publications for higher education for over 10 years. We understand the institutional process, and work with your team to streamline decision making and keep your project on track. When your project is completed, you'll not only have a better publication, you'll have a better process.
- Integrate existing Student Information SystemsBecause the system is based on SQL server technology and is OBDC compliant, you may integrate with Student Information Systems, both proprietary and custom.
- Manage your entire websiteRobust workflow tools give campus web contributors the access they demand without losing control of your website. The system is server-based so nothing goes live until the webmaster approves it. No more rogue pages and confusing messages.
- Manage curriculum development behind the scenesThe SmartCatalog System is great for managing curriculum development and allowing colleagues to "talk" to each other at the draft stage. Imagine how useful this would be for curriculum committees as they work to develop new programs. Version control would allow them to see the genesis of programs and courses as they develop.
If your institution is in transition, or it's time to re-think your catalog process, call us a SmartCatalog for an initial consultation. We can help with your short and long term planning, and create a process that works for you.